FIESP - Federation of Industries of the
State of Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo, Brazil
April 11, 2006
The Progress & Freedom Foundation and ABPI (Brazilian Intellectual Property Association) are pleased to co-host an all-day conference April 11, 2006, in Sao Paulo, Brazil, titled "Intellectual Property in the Digital World -- The Importance for Brazilian Development." Recognizing that intellectual property is a central driver of the digital economy and of economic development, "Intellectual Property and Innovation in the Digital World" will examine this topic with a focus on Brazil, in particular the role intellectual property will play in the development of a software industry in Brazil.
The digital world knows no boundaries, and the critical role of intellectual property rights in innovation holds true in South America just as much as it does in the United States. Brazil has been at the center of the intellectual property debate, from piracy to patent protection. Economic development drives the debate. The conference will feature experts including senior government officials discussing the topic joined by leading intellectual property attorneys and senior academics.
PFF President Raymond Gifford, Vice President for Research Tom Lenard and Director of PFF's Center for the Study of Digital Property James DeLong will participate in the conference with
U.S. Deputy Assistant Attorney General Gerald Masoudi in charge of International, Policy and Appellate Matters.
Brazilian Secretary of Technology and Innovation Augusto Gadelha Vieira, Brazilian Patent and Trademark Office Software Patent Examiner Antonio Carlos Abrantes, Ministry of Science and Technology's Marylin Peixoto da Silva Nogueira, Brazilian Congressman Júlio Semeghini and others.
"PFF has already partnered with stellar organizations in Milan, Brussels and Prague," said Gifford, referring to PFF's Digital Europe Summits held in 2005 and earlier this year. "Now we have the opportunity to share views and debate ideas with our neighbors in our very own hemisphere. I look forward to learning more about how the role intellectual property plays in Brazil 's economy and the nation's future innovation and development."
The Progress & Freedom Foundation is a market-oriented think tank that studies the digital revolution and its impact on public policy. ABPI is a non-profit founded in 1963 that studies intellectual property in the context of legislation and jurisprudence.
Those wishing to attend the conference may contact Eileen Goulding of The Progress & Freedom Foundation at 202-289-8928 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sao Paulo agenda
Software as a Development Factor for Brazil
Incentive issues: the Brazilian model vis-à-vis emerging countries (India, China...)
- Augusto Gadelha Vieira – Information Technology Secretary, Ministry of Science and
Technology – MCT, DF
- Manoel Antonio dos Santos – Legal Director, Brazilian Software Companies Association –
- Thomas M. Lenard - Vice-President for Research, The Progress & Freedom Foundation, USA
- Rogerio Panigassi – Academic Programs Manager, Microsoft Brazil, SP
- Waldemar Borges - President, SOFTEX , SP
- Bayard Picchetto Júnior – Legal Director, Itautec Philco, SP
- Ricardo Saur, Executive Director, Brasscom, RJ
- Moderator: Júlio
- Congressman, House of Representatives, DF
Patentability of Software Implemented Inventions
- Otto B. Licks - Partner, Momsen, Leonardos & Cia., RJ
- Antonio Carlos Abrantes – Software Patent’s Examiner, Brazilian Patent and Trademark
Office - BPTO, RJ
- Marco Aurélio Garib - President, EverSystems Informática, SP
- John Duffy - Professor of Law, The George Washington Law School
- Moderator: Roberto de Alencar Lotufo - Executive Director, Inova, Unicamp, SP
Panel III -
Interoperability, Open Source vs. Proprietary Software, and Piracy
- André de Almeida – Legal Counsel, Business Software Alliance, SP
- James DeLong– Director of the Center for the Study of Digital Property,
The Progress & Freedom
- Marcio Girao - Softex, SP
- Moderator: Marylin Peixoto da Silva Nogueira, Information Technology Policy UnderSecretary,
Ministry of Science and Technology – MCT, DF