Cyberspace and the American Dream:
Aspen Summit 1999
|Sunday, August 22
|5:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
- Special Guest: Governor Bill Owens, Colorado
|Monday, August 23
|8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
|9:00 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
||Welcome and Opening Remarks
- George A. Keyworth Chairman, The Progress & Freedom Foundation
Keynote Address: "The Digital Revolution and the World
- Ivan Seidenberg, Chairman and CEO, Bell Atlantic
|9:45 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
||Discussion: "Understanding the
Moderator: Thomas M. Lenard, Vice
President for Research, The Progress & Freedom Foundation
- W. Michael Cox, Chief Economist, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas
- Hal Varian, Dean, School of Information Management and Systems,
University of California at Berkeley
- Michael Zisman, Executive Vice President, Strategy, IBM
|11:00 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
|11:15 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
||Discussion: "Creating a Framework
for Global Electronic Commerce"
Magaziner, President, SJS Advisors
- Gerard deGraaf, First Secretary, Commission of the European Union
- Peter Harter, Vice President, EMusic.com
- Ed Hearst, Counsel, House Commerce Committee
- Tom Kalil, Special Assistant to the President & Director,
National Economic Council
- Roberta Katz, President, Technology Network
- John Place, General Counsel, Yahoo!
|12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m.
|2:30 p.m. 4:30 p.m.
||Working Group Activities
- Consumer Protection on the Internet
Moderators: Roger Cochetti, IBM & Hon. James C. Miller III, The Progress & Freedom
- The Digital State
Moderators: Steve Kolodney, Center for Digital Government & Woody Talcove, Cabletron
|6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
|7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- Host: Jay Keyworth, Chairman, The Progress & Freedom Foundation
- Sol Trujillo, Chairman, President & CEO,
U S WEST
- Hon. Conrad Burns
|Tuesday, August 24
|8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
|9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
||Plenary Address: "Competition and
- Leo Hindery, Jr., President and CEO, AT&T Broadband and Internet
|10:00 a.m.-10:15 a.m.
|10:15 a.m.-11:45 a.m.
||"Convergence vs. the
Telecommunications Act of 1996: Is Parity Possible?"
Phil Burgess, President, Center for the New West
- Marc Apfelbaum, Sr. Vice President & General Counsel, Time Warner
- Larry Clinton, V.P., Large Company Affairs, USTA
- Liz Fetter, President & Chief Operating Officer, NorthPoint
- Donald Gips, Sr. Vice President, Level (3) Communications
- Robert Pepper, Chief, Office of Plans and Policy, FCC
- Mike Maibach, V.P., Government Affairs, Intel
- Jonathan Sallet, Chief Policy Counsel, MCI-Worldcom
|11:45 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
|1:00 p.m.-2:15 p.m.
||"Politics, Congress and the Web"
Moderator: Jeffrey A. Eisenach, President, The Progress & Freedom Foundation
- Jerry Berman, President, Internet Education Foundation
- Gloria Dittus, President, The Dittus Group
- Kenneth Glueck, Senior Director, Oracle Corporation
- Hon. Jay Inslee (D-Wa)
- Hon. Robert Walker, President, The Wexler Group
- Hon. Rick White, Partner, Perkins Coie LLP
|2:15 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
||"PC Passe' or PC Plus? The Future
of the Digital Appliance"
Moderator: Dave McCurdy,
President, Electronic Industries Alliance
- James Bonan, V.P. Business Development, Corporate Strategy Division,
Sony Electronics Inc.
- Mike Clary, VP & General Manager, Consumer & Embedded, Sun
- Mike Grubbs, Director, Technology Management and Planning, Gateway
- Bill Loughrey, Director of Government Affairs, Scientific Atlanta
- John Major, Chairman and CEO, Wireless Knowledge
Current as of August 20, 1999. All speakers confirmed unless otherwise indicated.
Agenda-Aspen '99 St. Regis Aspen Previous conferences
Registration Information Aspen '99 Sponsors